Gmail – Configure Outlook for Windows
You may need to enable IMAP for your account prior to configuration of your email client (https://mail.google.com). To do this:
- From the Gmail web client, click Settings from the cog menu.
- In the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab, click Enable IMAP.
- Click Save Changes.
Click Manual setup or additional server types and click Next.
Select POP or IMAP (or Internet Email for Outlook 2010) and click Next.
In the User Information section, enter:
- Your name: (desired display name)
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Account Type: IMAP
- Incoming mail server: imap.gmail.com
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com
- User name: email@example.com
- Password: IdentiKey password
- Then click More Settings…
- Incoming Server (IMAP): 993 SSL
- Outgoing server (SMTP): 587 TLS
Click OK to save.
*Note: If you are experiencing issues connecting with port 587 for Outgoing server (SMTP), try changing this to port 25.
Outlook will test your account settings. If it completes successfully, click Close.
*Note: If it does not complete successfully, review this document and check your account settings again.
Click Finish and your account will be configured.
Some users may need to change their app security settings when using non-google and android email programs. While signed into your Gmail account in a browser, open the Google Apps menu, then select My Account.
*Note: You should try to connect your account without changing these settings and change only if the previous steps don’t work.
In the Sign-in & Security section, select Connected apps & sites.
Scroll down to the Allow less secure apps section and change the setting to On. You should now be able to connect your account to an email client.